Litchfield Savanna SuperSite
TERN’s Litchfield Savanna SuperSite is located within Litchfield National Park, about 80 km south of Darwin, Northern Territory, in a high rainfall, frequently burnt, tropical savanna—the dominant ecosystem type across northern Australia.
Site Infrastructure & Characteristics
SuperSite Research Infrastructure
- One eddy-covariance flux tower
- Soil water content and temperature sensors
- Two x 1 ha Surveillance monitoring plots
- Airborne LiDAR and hyperspectral imagery calibrated using SLATS star transects, leaf sampling, tree structure and LAI measurements
- Vegetation type: Tropical savanna
- Elevation: 220 m
- Mean Temperature: 26.6°C
- Soils: Kandosols
Research using the Litchfield Savanna SuperSite aims to answer these key questions:
Since its inception, TERN’s infrastructure has enabled the publication of more than 1600 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles or books.